[blindkid] easy recipes to have kids cook

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 28 02:06:03 UTC 2011

Hi, What kitchen experience does your daughter have? Start with basic things
including: Can she spread something onto bread or toast? Can she measure
simple ingreadence into a bowl? Can she use a knife to cut simple foods like
a carrot into coins? Is she able to use the microwave? Has she stirred
cooking food on the stove? Can she pore from 1 container to another? Can she
crack an egg? Can she safely get something out of the oven?   Think what
will my child need to cook any recipe she wishes not what recipes can she
make. Does she understand that meals start with engreadence, and those
things come together to make other things?

Talk to her while you cook narrarating what you do and incorporate her when
you can.

Then find any kids cook book read her the helpful hints, and give her space
to try. Remember that there isn't really a wrong or right way to do things,
but as long as it is safe and gets the job done it is fine. I love to cook
and would be happy to answer any questions about how I do this or that.

It was making scrambled eggs as a child, pealing apples every holiday season
with my grandmother, making that afternoon snack while I waited for my mom
to get home Making my own toaster pastries packing my lunches for school,
and poring the milk into my cereal, the life experiences of making the same
meals at the same time or earlier than my peers that have helped me to
become a pretty good and adequate cook when compared to my sighted friends.

In about an hour last night I was able to cook for a family of 6 salmon
cakes from scratch including the pan frying in oil, 2 types of veggies and
rice along with the clean up with the exception of the dishes we ate from.
But in this recipe I had to measure liquids and solids, follow directions,
safly measure and use the small amount of oil, Flip the cakes,  safly open
the pot from the rice and many more tiny skills. I encourage you to start
with recipes that only involve 1 or no new skills as following the recipe is
a skill in it's self.

Some good first foods to cook are brownies from a box so you only need water
and eggs or maybe oil which you can refridgerate so it can be felt easier,
Mac and cheese,
Casadillas,
Fancier sandwiches like subs of some kind,
Scrambled eggs,
Baked frozen things,
Many pastas,
Little home made pizzas
Fresh fruit or veggie salads,
Tacos,
And her own meal prep when others are making their own.

Hope this helps some.

There is a FB page called cooking with kids that is botha blog and website.

Bran

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll
smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future
worth living for."
-Author Unknown

Brandy Wojcik  Discovery Toys Educational Consultant and Team leader
(512) 689-5045
www.playtoachieve.com
Follow me on Face Book at
http://www.facebook.com/PlayToAchieve.DiscoveryToys

Do you want to: *earn extra income?
*get toys for free?
*get sale updates on our award winning products that have never been
recalled?
Just ask!