[blindkid] Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Rosina Solano colemangirly at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 18:23:27 UTC 2011

\
I have only just caught on in this discussion, but I know this is an issue that concerns my boys.  They both have glaucoma and have continually lost more vision every year.  Roman, my oldest had one eye removed two years ago due to collapse and pain issues, and Ethan my younger one has just lost most light perception in one of his eyes.  While we know that they will probably lose the rest of their vision and we have done all we can to ensure their success they still hope to not lose the rest of their vision.

Not because they don't feel capable.  They have braille skills, O&M skills and a good outlook on life.  They are confident and have lots of friends.  We routinely blindfold them around the house to complete tasks.  It is not the normal issues that come up with losing vision for kids.  They are not afraid of being unable to function, however, they do fear missing out on things.  We live in the country and they hate the thought of not seeing the animals and such.  They hate the thought of not seeing their sisters face.  Roman hates the thought of not seeing the difference of grass and track so that he can run with out a guide (he is very independant).  It is these little things that make me want to cry.  Not because I feel sorry for them, but because I am so proud of them for understanding real things in life.  I realize through them, how special it is to take the time to look at the sunset with them and remark on the vibrant colors of flowers,
 to take time to slow down and take a picture of the deer in the field so I can blow it up on the computer for them.

While these things are not that important in the big scheme of things, these are the fears that my children have and so I have to take the time to share in these things with them.  While both my children are grateful to have the opportunity to have these small gifts of time, they sometimes feel that life is cruel to show them something and then take it away.  I have to remind them (AND MYSELF) that we are all given a gift and perhaps this is theirs so that they can remember and pass on the information to others in a way that they know is helpful.

I know that this is not what this thread was really meant to be about, but sometimes little things are more important to kids than we realize and we need to be helpful with all aspects of vision loss, not just the academic ones.

Hope I haven't offended anyone;
Rosina Foster