[blindkid] How do you get to bring Braille note home

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed May 25 19:27:38 UTC 2011

I'm sure it is a case by case thing (or at least system by system), but we sign a form at the end of the year that says basically if we break it, we bought it... and then we take it home, just like it comes home every day after school in her backpack. (There is one form for the school year and one for the summer.) We have borrowed braillers in the past and still borrow the BrailleNote and various other things from printers to smaller items like an abacus, etc.

Our daughter does virtually all of her work on a BrailleNote, and this saves them a LOT of work at school because that means they have no need to transcribe any of her schoolwork back to print-- they just have her print out her assignments directly from the BrailleNote. It does cause some issues in reviewing her work after it is graded though, as there is no marked up braille copy, but then again, if they mark-up braille work in print, that's not much better, as it still requires a print reader to assist.

Apparently, in some cases, they want to keep the equipment there to do maintenance and I suspect some systems fear they would loose the equipment and not get repaid if someone skips town or whatever. I doubt there is any legal way to compel a school or system to loan you the equipment (apart from possibly IEP inclusion), but from a practical standpoint, they probably only have one student using most pieces like a BrailleNote, so it is either with the student or on a shelf at the school, and if kids don't practice all summer, they fall behind, making more work for the school.

Now as kids get older, there is probably also an argument to be made for say, a BrailleNote, if they have ANY at-home work to do over the summer, and if you can get a need for something into an IEP for over the summer, then you'll be all set.