[blindkid] How do you get to bring Braille note home

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:45:33 UTC 2011

Dear Trudy,

The law states:

IDEA Sec. 300.308

(b) On a case-by-case basis, the use of school-purchased assistive
technology devices in a child's home or in other settings is required if the
child's IEP team determines that the child needs access to those devices in
order to receive FAPE. (Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1412(a)(12)(B)(i))

So..it is by law:

*         case by case

*         REQUIRED.IF.the IEP team DETERMINES the child NEEDS ACCESS to
THOSE DEVICES.(and then writes it in)

The argument would be based on summer learning ACCESS, AVAILABILITY, etc. as
compared to the student's sighted peers. Sighted students are encouraged to
write and read all summer long.  If any student is behind grade level or at
an argument for summer "catch-up", an argument about RENTENTION through
summer practice.for the gifted or above gradelevel an argument about
maintenance and challenging practice.

Sighted children have tons of FREE and AVAILABLE writing/reading
opportunities, encouragement, PRACTICE over the summer. Including it in an
(or AS AN) ESY program that COSTS them NO MORE money is a good argument.
Sometimes it works to ask for all (FULL SUMMER ESY for example) and then
take equipment at home as a willing compromise (IF the child truly has NO
need for summer instruction) that costs them nothing.NO STAFF, no extra
equipment $$, no transportation.

Always remember in reality: *If it in NOT in the IEP; it does not exist.

Our son was behind gradelevel in reading when we first requested this, and
we were fortunate that on this point there was not argument. He had ALL
equipment and tech 365. During maintenance periods he would use a temp
"loaner" while his computer or BrailleNote was cleaned and updated, often
this was done in the fall when the teachers were back. He was also a highly
responsible student.and in my experience that has been the rule with all
blind kids, not the exception.

I disagree with the signing of a paper that indicates a parent is
financially responsible if it "breaks"-EVEN from misuse. This is not FREE
and appropriate.these things are always well insured by the district. They
are covered for accident and misuse and theft etc. on ALL, ALL, school owned
equipment.

You can find "template" letters, arguments on this issue at
www.wrightslaw.com <http://www.wrightslaw.com/> ; also it has been
productive I believe for some to offer a letter or argument on this list for
editorial help.

I also recommend begin addressing these issues no later than Feb. or early
March.

Best of Luck,

Carrie Gilmer