[blindkid] gifted testing

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 02:49:22 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I don't know much about how tests for gifted programs are modified for
blind children and I imagine much of the process varies between school
districts, but I do know that many blind students have been
successfully placed in gifted programs and so I wouldn't give up after
one attempt. When I was tested for my school's program, I believe I
was tested on items from the math and verbal sections of a standard IQ
test, and the nonverbal/spatial section was simply omitted. I recall
that my test was administered orally by a school psychologist, which I
believe eliminated any issues around interpreting pictures. It may be
as simple as eliminating the visual portions of the test and/or using
a non-graphical test medium (i.e. oral or Braille without any
diagrams).
While I don't know exactly how to solve the problem, I do think that
blind children who qualify for gifted programs can benefit a lot from
being in that educational setting. In gifted programs students are
often taught concepts at least a year above grade level, and this kind
of early instruction can really help to offset any struggles that may
come from lack of access to written materials later on. For example, I
know I was taught a lot of math concepts a year before the "regular"
students did, and so if I didn't always get my math books in Braille
right away, I had enough prior knowledge to be able to keep up. It may
be tempting to give blind kids who don't have full access to their
materials remedial-level work thinking the slow pace is easier to keep
up with, but being in a remedial class will ultimately just allow them
to lag behind. I think it is harder for teachers to justify holding
low expectations for a blind student if that student has been labeled
as "gifted" or if the entire class is expected to meet high standards.
I believe that the opportunities I had to participate in these
honorific programs allowed me to avoid most of the educational gaps
faced by too many mainstreamed blind students. So if you believe your
child qualifies, I would advise advocating for this opportunity.
Best,
Arielle