[blindkid] What are your thoughts on coloring?

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Mon Oct 3 15:28:49 UTC 2011

I'd like to weigh into this discussion on coloring.  I very much enjoyed
coloring as a blind child, although I didn't use standard coloring books.  I
would draw with crayons because I could feel the wax on the page.  Sometimes
my mother would make a raised line picture for me to color, using pinpricks
or a sewing tracing wheel to make the outline.  I labeled my crayons so I
knew what color I was using.  I think this was very valuable play for me.
Filling in an outline was certainly good for fine motor coordination and
tactile discrimination.  Also, coloring helped me learn a lot about how
three-dimensional objects are rendered in two dimensions.  I learned about
profile, front view, and aerial view, even a bit about perspective.  By
asking questions and following directions I learned what colors are
appropriate for what pictures - a house might be white or yellow but
probably not purple or orange, for instance; and brown was for a rabbit but
not blue or green.  Coloring was something that all of my sighted peers did
on a regular basis, and I wanted to do what they did.  Fortunately my family
was supportive and helped me find ways to make coloring a fun and meaningful
activity.  When we did coloring at school the teacher would hand me a blank
sheet of paper and I'd make my own pictures.

Today there are a number of raised-line coloring books available, and by
using a coloring screen an adult can easily create a raised outline for a
child to explore and fill in.  In our increasingly graphically-oriented
world, it's important for blind kids to understand the basics of how
pictures work.

Debbie