[blindkid] Fw: Playing by Ear

Amanda Winkler awcactuscat1 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 19:55:26 UTC 2011

My husband and I are both totally blind and for us blindness is not
isolating it is more of an inconvenience.  I have the perspective of
becoming blind later in life but I was born low vision (20/200) and my
husband was blind since birth.  Our families treated us like a normal child
and gave us every opportunity to experience everything a normal child would
have.  We are so grateful to them for making such a difficult decision
regardless of family and other peoples looks, comments, and criticism.  Like
any other sighted couple, we are raising a family (one child who is vi),
attend family functions, visit friends, commute to work, go to the grocery
store, perform household chores, etc. all on our own.  We use our other
senses (hearing, smell, and touch) to create a picture of our world just as
you would use your sight.  With these remaining senses and a little common
sense we can figure out most things.  Where a sighted person looks around to
see what businesses are in their neighborhood we would have to physically
explore the area and ask questions.  This is quite fun and enjoyable.  All
it comes down to is your attitude towards life.  We have a positive attitude
towards life and we know that there are things that need to be done, so we
get it done.  What has helped us and the people we encounter is our openness
about our blindness and the fact we are not ashamed to be blind.  We enjoy
taking the time to educate and answer their questions about being blind.  So
for us our blindness has not isolated us but in fact has done the opposite.

Amanda
Ask all your questions and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.