[blindkid] Playlistening, imaginative play, art play???? Cross post

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 15 17:03:23 UTC 2011

I'm posting this question on multiple parenting listserves that I am on so
if you are on multiple listserves with me I apologize for the repeat.

I am just wondering if imaginative/imitative play and interest in creating
art came naturally to your kiddos or how you went about "teaching" it to
them.

I was not much of a pretender when I was little. I really wanted to get out
and ride my bike or climb a tree and such things. My husband says that he
was about the same so I'm not really shocked that Jack is a play outside
kind of kiddo too.

As far as imitative play, I did not really enjoy pretending to cook or
pretending to shop, I wanted to actually help with the cooking and I would
go shopping with my mom or grandmother when little.

As far as working out issues in play, I never really did this either but I
think that may have more to do with the unstableness of my environment.

I did like to do crafty projects somewhat but have never been the creative
type that would just sit and do an artsy project on my own. I was more of a
reader.

On the other hand, I read things all the time about the fun and learning and
healing that other children have when doing these activities with their
parents. I feel as though I should be doing more of these types of things
with Jack. I feel like there is a block on both our parts since I am not
particularly good at these things and neither is he. BUT is he not good at
it because there is a shortage of modeling?

Thoughts?

Oh and since this is going to multiple lists, let me give you a quick
rundown of the "Jack facts"

Turned 6 years old in May

Very active little boy-active as in likes to run around and is not a big fan
of sitting

Is homeschooled/unschooled, I guess we're in Kindergarten now

Late talker now at the short sentences level, still working on joint
attention, increased # of turns in turn-taking, sharing control

Small hands and stiff fingers after having surgery to release his fused
digits when 10 and 13 months old-he does have 5 digits on each hand

Fine motor difficulties due to above

Light perception only in left eye

Right eye vision somewhere around 20/320

Considered legally blind due to 2 above

His best friends are a green basketball named Irish and a well-worn Tickle
Me Elmo doll (best friends defined as objects that accompany him everywhere.
He does engage in some imaginative/imitative play with them)

He does not like to watch TV. He would rather play with his ipad, watch
short YouTube videos, Baby Einstein, Elmo's World, and a couple specific
episodes of Dora and Yo Gabba Gabba. He does some imitation of these things.

He does not like playdoh, drawing/writing (some hand over hand tracing on
the ipad but NOT drawing of any kind)

Tools/toys/paints etc. for creative/imaginative play-we've probably got them
all

He was born with a craniofacial syndrome called Apert syndrome

Thoughts/ideas/stories/inspiration/hey don't worry about it..

I want to hear whatever you've got.

Thanks in advance,

Marie