[blindkid] Social behavior

Erin Teply eteply at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 12:51:25 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I am some questions around social behavior (at least I think that is the best description!).  My son Max, is 5 and in mainstream kindergarten.  He has some 'blindisms' as I call them or some different social behaviors when he gets excited.  He tends to rock his body back and forth and sort of do a strange 'arm-straightener' thing when he gets excited or really wants to say something.  We see this at home in just these cases and I believe the same at school, but because he has to 'sit still' so much more at school, I think the behaviors are more pronounced and/or more often.  I have a meeting tomorrow with his OT and mobility teacher on what we can do to replace or minimize these behaviors.  As we all know, you simply can't tell the child to *stop* this because then they think, "well then what?".  How have some of you dealt with this type of thing?  I think the main concern from his OT that this is socially not acceptable.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,
Erin Teply