[blindkid] Ideas needed

Phouka Phouka at kc.rr.com
Sat Oct 29 23:37:36 UTC 2011

I think Marshall's on the right track:  finding a way for your daughter to
discover how much the cane really helps will probably make the difference.
Admittedly, Eddie's 2 (he'll be 3 in January), and he doesn't necessarily
use the cane correctly (we're just starting), but he loves his cane.
Evidently, the first time he used it, he discovered a curb.  The ball on the
end of his cane went off the curb, and he realized the curb was there a few
feet before he would've fallen over it.  He stopped, looked quizzical, and
crept up to the curb to check it out-all without falling off of the curb and
face-planting.  I think after that, he was sold.

I do think the environment he's in makes a difference, too.  Being at CCVI,
he sees other kids with canes navigating down the halls each day when he
heads to or from school.  Today, he faltered a bit when we walked across the
library parking lot with his cane because he noticed another, older, little
boy noticing his cane and making some sort of comment or other.  If you can
find a local group with other people who use canes to go to regularly, that
might help your daughter be more accepting of her cane as well.

This article, written by a man who's legally blind and uses a cane, is
pretty cool and might help:  http://www.familyconnect.org/blog.asp?BlogID=2
<http://www.familyconnect.org/blog.asp?BlogID=2&BlogEntryID=203>
&BlogEntryID=203

There's also a new program that's supposed to be debuting sometime this fall
that's designed to help parents encourage their kids with cane usage.  I
read about it in the Braille Pals Buzz, but I wasn't able to find the
newsletter in my email, so I don't have more details.  I'll try to remember
to post them to this list when the program's live.

Good luck!

--Mary

Follow our adventures at http://peanutandphouka.wordpress.com