[blindkid] how would you handle this PSAT issue?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Sep 29 21:48:37 UTC 2011

There are many of us who have had frustrations with the College Board.  One of the reasons, in my
opinion,  that it has been hard to come up with an approach to make them change is that unlike the LSAT
example, the problems we have tend to be complicated.  It also helps that with the LSAT problem we had a
bunch of angry lawyers to help.  <smile>  Rather than being a problem of a single specific policy, the
problem tends to be one of procedures or one of inconsistency and to me they are sometimes just working
without taking the time to think.  I know of a case where an advance Placement test was given and it was
somewhat based upon current reading lists.  The blind student got it in braille but it was old so some
of the required reading that she had completed was not relevant on her test while it helped her
classmates.  Some of the reading on her old copy was somewhat outdated so she was tested on material she
had not read.  She lost both ways.  A testing entity should really be able to recognize the unfairness
of such a situation.

However, sometimes problems arise not directly because of the College Board but because schools drop the
ball which seems to have been partly the case here.  This can also be brought about by the fact that the
College Board procedures for such things as special accommodations can be confusing.  We need to keep
making the College Board aware of the unfair impact some of what they do has on blind kids.  They seem
to be isolated from the affects of their decisions.

We did have a representative of the College Board at one of the division meetings at the convention last
summer, and she was given an earful.  People that have experiences that are particularly with the
college Board should write to

Ruth Loew,
Aassistant Director of Disability Policy
E-mail:  rloew at ets.org

and describe what happened and the affect it had.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson