[blindkid] TVI expertise

Carly B barnesraiser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:16:33 UTC 2012

Hi Heather,

First of all, all my best to you in this new diagnosis! It takes a little
while to wrap your mind around each new thing (at least, it does for me...
my oldest, sighted, age 15 was dx with Asperger's a year and a half ago...
while it answered many questions about "why" it also was a big new reality
to adjust to.)

As far as I know, TVI's are not trained and qualified on autism spectrum
disorders unless that TVI decided to get additional education. I have a
post-bac degree and am qualified (licensed) as an elementary teacher,
general ed, and I never got one minute of training on special needs of any
kind. And I went to the University of Minnesota which is considered one of
the top schools in the country. Just for some frame of reference.

I don't know if every school has someone who specializes in autism spectrum
disorders. It may be a good idea to get some outside, private
recommendations to bring to the table. While schools usually say that time
and cost constraints don't affect decision making, in most scenarios, they
do.

Again, best to you! And God bless,

--Carolynn