[blindkid] Bureau of blindness Services

Sally Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 22:52:06 UTC 2012

When I started reading your note, I assumed you were in Texas since your
experience is similar to ours.  Although we should be able to rely on the
Department of Blindness Service to do what they say they will do, I haven't
found that to be the case.  Our experience has been that we need to do
things for our son ourselves.  It's not fair or right.  Sometimes you can
fight and get the things you need from outside groups.  Sometimes you can
find out about opportunities like programs at the Jernigan Center in
Baltimore by watching this list and subscribing to Future Reflections.

One suggestion for next summer--if your daughter is old enough, she might
enjoy attending one of the Buddy programs.  If your bureau of blindness
doesn't have people in PA to provide services, they might pay for this
program.  One year when my son attended there was a boy from PA at the
program.

Best of luck.  It can be a struggle but seeing your child make progress is
so rewarding.

Sally Thomas