[blindkid] Learning how to play?

Julie Yanez jyanez112 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 17:33:27 UTC 2012

Hi Julie, my 2 kids have a 7 year gap. My oldest in blind and she's 10. My
youngest is 3. I found that first correcting his behavior was key. Biting
was unacceptable. After that, I had him join in on my play time with her.
And if he wasn't gonna help or be nice, he was gonna play on his own. After
all, they are siblings. They need the support from one another. There will
be a day when I'm not around anymore.
But introducing him to braille was a major key as well. I don't expect him
to learn it, but I do expect him to understand that sister sees
differently. And he get rewarded for helping her with certain things. That
was his positive reinforcement to learn good habits when playing with
others.
We play lots of non sighted games. Like hide and seek in the dark(he gets a
glow stick), we paint, do art projects. I even have them race on razor
scooters. Her impairment even out with his age and size.