[blindkid] A Christmas Story Audio Described

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sat Dec 1 18:36:39 UTC 2012

If you would you like to watch "A Christmas Story" with Audio Description this year, there's probably a way.

Growing up as a child, and now as a parent with children, Christmas TV shows have become part of my family tradition. "A Christmas Story" has become a real family favorite of ours and I have long wished to find a copy with audio description available.

For the last several years, TBS has run this family favorite on TV, usually on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day when they have it airing  for 24 hours straight. (I have wrapped gifts half the night on Christmas Eve with this on in the background more than once!)

Last year while watching, on a lark, I decided to check for an audio description by switching through alternative audio feeds, where one would tend to find Spanish audio simulcast on some programs. Lo and behold, I found an English Audio Description track running there. When DVS (Descriptive Video Service) audio is offered, that's where you'll most often find it. You will probably NOT find it in the "Audio Description" area ever. (Look through your settings.) I have no idea why this is the case, but I have yet to find that area is use from any network.

I have previously seen indications that TBS "does not run" audio described programming at all. This was even posted on their web site, but I have also found them running audio descriptions on several other programs in the past, so don't assume stations never run audio description even when they make that very claim. They may not even have known they were running this second audio feed themselves, but it was there.

If you want to watch this program audio described, look up TBS listings and check for alternative audio as soon as the program starts. I was lucky last year because though I had waited until nearly the end of the marathon to check, one full showing remained. I switched to "Spanish" on my TiVo and recorded the show where I still have it a year later to enjoy.

If you haven't done this before, probably best to explore your settings early because the controls can be confusing, and if you're trying to record it, whatever you recorded before you switched the audio (at least on a TiVo) will not be described. Note that sometimes the Spanish area will have no audio at all, and other times it will be actually running a Spanish simulcast, or even the same English feed as the main channel.

Also know that if you're watching a Spanish station such as the Spanish HBO feed, or Univision, Spanish will be running under "English" and the "Spanish" feed will probably be blank or unavailable. The language selection name is a label only and stations can send whatever they want on any particular feed. Sometimes you may even find unrelated audio, such as  a weather radio feed, for example.

I can't guarantee that "A Christmas Story" will be described this year since I don't see that listed anywhere, but at a glance, it looks like TBS will run the the same marathon schedule as last year. I'd definitely look there for the show with DVS again this Christmas.

Please be aware that if you find this broadcast elsewhere, or on a DVD, it probably will not have audio description available. Many programs are like this. Most current movies are released with audio description in select theaters. In fact one nearby theater here in Atlanta runs every single movie with audio description, yet when the same shows run on TV or get released on DVD or Blu-Ray, only certain titles have DVS as an option.

I hope this helps some who are interested enjoy at least one special Christmas TV show with your entire family this year.

Happy Holidays!

Richard