[blindkid] Question about Student Loan Forgiveness for Parent

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:21:07 UTC 2012

Dear Natae,
It also occurred to me that my response might be "taken" as hurtful but unfortunately there is no other short answer to the question Carlton put forth. i am experienced enough to know that (and esp with email and persons unknown) ANY thing is likely as not to be "taken" not as you intend. i am not sure how you think I took it. i meant that there is most probably no loan forgiveness for being a parent of a blind child, because there is no need for that as a rule. And i put it that way to hopefully bring about some thought on what even asking the question means. What do you mean "taken this way"? you probably never heard of me, but I have a bit of experience with thousands of experiences and I had run through all the possible reasons to homeschool a blind child beyond simply you believe in home schooling or for religious based reasons. it has been done not uncommonly for a blind child when a parent is able in both time and skill to take on the task with a good case to be made that there is a need...not merely choice...and lack of meeting the educational needs of a blind child is a causal factor.

Families all over have made many hard choices, including financial ones...moving, staying home, fighting legal battles, taking out loans and becoming a Teacher of blind students...in order for their child to have a proper normal expectation education. Families also make these kinds of choices over many other disabilities, or even bullying issues or health or religious belief.....or even just taking a financial hit to have one parent home and available...but again those are choices. The only forgiveness on loans that I am aware of are more of a trade...you give something like military service or teaching in a poor underprivileged area for a number of years. No one knows what is in their future when they take out the loans. Some people get cancer, some have a spouse or child die, they become disabled themselves....loans are not forgiven...or they might all have to be.

You seem to understand that blindness is not a greater hardship, and indeed many here, myself included would rise and heartily debate whether it was a hardship at all....or being a parent of a blind child either....now getting a free and appropriate education for a blind child does indeed present many hardships...but people are able to do it and meet their financial obligations. maybe they have to give up something else, like a nicer car...but they do it.

I did not call you any names, or accuse you of a thing...so I am unsure why you feel this list is not now a "safe" place.

 i think it not an unfair question to ask why you think it would or should be a basis for loan forgiveness.  Also think it helpful for you in the long run to realize that many, many, are or would be offended at the question. Offended? Why? This might make a fine, albiet possibly controversial, article....when is "using blindness" to get something free appropriate and even justified and when is it not? in fact i believe Dr. tenBroek and likely Jernigan and Mr. maurer have spoken in speeches on it already...and perhaps someone knows of a link...

Meanwhile, you are just a very loving and good Mom wanting to do the very best for your blind child and have some deep possibly desperate feelings of financial hardship...and were hoping for just a simple yes there are or no there are not answer....without what you possibly feel is judgement or a lecture. I am saying this is a teaching moment for you. This topic will come up in your lives, over and over....will you raise a child who looks for special (UN-NEEDED) treatment just because of blindness or one who only accepts help (due to blindness) that makes access and equal opportunity or is in the normal course of being human. your child will follow your lead. How would you explain the rationale for loan forgiveness for you, for choices made long before because now your child is blind...to your grown child? I am telling you sometimes that line or free or not....the cost of a gift...can get tricky. i am sorry you felt put off or hurt or judged or something like that by my response. i speak all this in love Natae, I really do. ask anyone who knows me :)
carrie
Sent from my iPad