[blindkid] Christmas DVS movies

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Dec 7 01:30:53 UTC 2012

I think part of the "trick" is figuring out what broadcast or cable shows will run with DVS on cable or when broadcast to begin with. There seems to be no standard way to indicate this in guides of any kind. Some shows' web sites acknowledge they offer this option (though very few), but it is up to local affiliates if they actually broadcast the alternative audio.

There aren't a lot of programs broadcast with DVS yet, though that seems to be something that is starting to improve.

A couple of possible shows to check (just to test) are current NCIS Episodes on CBS (not re-broadcasts on USA) and at least the current Simpsons episodes on Fox.

Here in Atlanta the Fox Affiliate broadcasts with DVS as "Spanish". The CBS Affiliate seems not to carry the CBS-provided DVS and when I asked why, they ignored my inquiry. PBS for Georgia used to run DVS on many programs and stopped carrying all feeds. They may start back, I was told. I complained to PBS of Georgia and asked the Georgia NFB to encourage members to do likewise. I didn't get much support.

As far as NCIS and The Simpsons, neither of these are really shows for Kendra, but they do run from the networks in DVS and may be good "test shows".

As I mentioned in my reply to Arielle, I wrote an article with a lot more detail about this which might be helpful. Here is the link:

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr31/3/fr310312.htm