[blindkid] I need help

Bo Page bo.page at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 25 14:06:57 UTC 2012

Saying a child can't learn both is ridiculous.  Now is the time for your son to
learn everything he can.  Learning to braille will also help him with his fine
motor skills, and I know that from experience with my blind daughter.  Don't let
a school dictate to you what you need.  Getting information like you are here is
the best thing you can do for your son.  I've seen this happen before where a
child who has some vision can fall through the cracks of the educational
system.  You might want to consider putting him in public school if the school
for the blind is not supporting you, because in public school they will have to
help him with speech, fine motor skills, etc.  This is a critical period for you
son's development.  Try to get help from a doctor in having them write up a
report of what his special needs are and what he needs to rectify them. I did
this and with my daughter's orthopedic doctor and it made all the difference.
Don't give up and don't back down.  Not all states have supportive schools, but
you have the law on your side so demand what you feel your son needs.  Hope this
helps.