[blindkid] Gifted testing

L lburns24 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 17:51:54 UTC 2012

Hi all,
So my 5 year old is in a regular kindergarten class.  The SCOPE program (gifted) has been coming into the classroom and working with the students and hannah's VI teacher and aide have adapted all materials for her.  Well, now they will be testing ALL kindergarten students for the program.  The test is not allowed to be altered in any way and they have no version for blind students/low vision.  I was told it is a very visual test.  The principal has stated that Hannah is not to take this test at all and they want me to sign an addendum to exempt her from this test.  This is not necessarily an issue I really want to fight right now, because I don't think Hannah will qualify at this time for gifted services.  BUT I feel that it is completely unfair that they just want to exempt her from the test when all the other students are taking it.  I also don't want to say okay and exempt maybe this year and next year while she is still learning all her
 braille, but what if in the future I feel like she should take it and they say "well you always exempted her before..."  Any thoughts?  Thank you!  Laurie Wages (Hannah's mom)