[blindkid] Gifted testing

Gina Ouellette gouellette at csb-cde.ca.gov
Wed Feb 1 19:12:58 UTC 2012

Hi Laurie,

I am a school psychologist at a state school for the blind and not a parent of a blind child, so this is just my own two cents. I have to agree with everyone else... In my humble opinion the school needs to know from day one that you want your daughter to be treated like everyone else. I think that if you allow your daughter to be exempted based on her vision impairment alone it will send the message to the school that you're willing to bend when something is "too hard" to adapt.

The fact is that the teachers know the students well by this point in the school year, and they probably have a good sense of which kids may be "gifted." Imagine the outrage if they got to pick and choose which kids got to take the test and which didn't. That would not be fair, and neither is disallowing your daughter to take it based on pre-conceived notions or the "hassle" of adapting the test.

You can also talk with the school psychologist at the school about what he or she could do to help assess your daughter in a similar way to the way she would be assessed with the gifted test. He or she may also be able to help the TVI, principal, and/or head of the gifted program to figure out how to best adapt the test.

The key is to do some more research and go in with a well-versed argument about why it is inappropriate to exempt her. You should also talk about the legality of it. As you know, your daughter is protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (even more so than IDEA) and must have equal access. That is really the silver bullet--it is completely illegal for them to not accommodate her or give her access to something that her sighted peers have access to.

Good luck. It's a sticky situation, but as someone else pointed out, you will be defending your daughter's right to access for many years to come.

Best,
Gina
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately. Thank you for your cooperation.