[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 94, Issue 13

Carlton Anne Cook Walker attorneywalker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:18:03 UTC 2012

Stephanie,

I always try to look at the motivation behind the behavior.  Of course,
motivation can be difficult to determine for anyone, especially someone who
has difficulty communicating effectively, like this young man.

Perhaps, as Barbara noted, the bright lights are a motivator.  Would it be
possible to develop a system (such as a switch he can easily manipulate) to
mimic this result.  In this manner, he would still be in control and get
that which he seeks, but his method would change (and would be far safer).
 Of course, any system would need to be cleared by a health care provider
if the student is at risk for seizures.

Other possible motivators include the deep pressure from the poking (which
might be able to be met through weighted and/or spandex garments).  Also,
vibrating mats and toys, etc. (particularly those that can be controlled by
a switch the child can operate) have been beneficial to some of students
(again, care must be taken to avoid triggering seizures).  I have other
students who enjoy operating a fan (especially if a pinwheel is placed
nearby) or music.

In sum, the goal is to find the student's motivation for the eye poking
behavior and find an appropriate replacement behavior (preferably, one
under the student's control, like the eye poking).

Hope this helps,

Carlton

--
Carlton Anne Cook Walker