[blindkid] Article about blind student

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Wed Feb 22 17:42:57 UTC 2012

That was nice of you, Heather.  We're having a
beautiful spring-like day here in NJ--hope you
all are experiencing the good feeling that beautiful weather can give!
Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ
Director of Programs
973-377-0976
carol_castellano at verizon.net
www.blindchildren.org
www.nopbc.org

At 09:30 PM 2/21/2012, you wrote:
> [...]
>install actual ADA signage. J. Lea Callaway,
>executive director for the Boy Scouts’
>Istrouma Council, characterized Taboada’s
>Project of the Year award as “huge,” and
>reported that it will be submitted to the
>national Eagle Scout project contest. Cathie
>Louis, a longtime volunteer in the Istrouma
>Council who organized a recent awards ceremony
>at the Catholic Life Center, said of Taboada,
>“What he has in common with a lot of Eagle
>Scouts is that he has the ability to set goals.
>They know what they want and they know they have
>to work for it and they’re not afraid of going
>for it.” Taboada has grown up in Baton Rouge,
>the son of Joseph Taboada, a veterinarian and
>associate dean at the LSU School of Veterinary
>Medicine, and Sandy Merchant Taboada, also a
>professor at the LSU Vet School. He graduated
>from McKinley High School in 2010, a year early,
>and has one brother, Robert, 16, who attends the
>Runnels School. Michael Taboada was 2½ when it
>was discovered that he had a pituitary tumor
>called a craniopharyngioma, his father said in
>an email. The tumor was removed at Ochsner
>Hospital in New Orleans. “I was throwing a
>ball with him the day before surgery, and he had
>no difficulty catching it,” Joseph Taboada
>wrote. “But when he came out of surgery he was
>blind.” Michael Taboada said he can see
>shadows and outlines but cannot read or clearly
>see a TV or computer screen. He utilizes audio
>programs, such as on his cellphone, and reads
>with Braille or someone reads his homework
>assignments to him. He is pursuing a double
>major of computer science and math and hopes a
>master’s degree program in computer gaming is
>soon created so he can attend that program. He
>wants a future career in computer gaming, he
>said, and is already creating games featuring
>audio signals to indicate what is occurring in
>the game play. Taboada lives on campus in an
>honors dorm and walks everywhere, at a brisk
>pace, using a long white, fiberglass cane to
>feel the ground in front of him. He sweeps it
>from side to side and when his cane hits an
>object he generally knows whether it is a curb,
>or a step or wall or doorway. “One time I
>almost lost my cane down a storm grate,” he
>said with a laugh while striding across campus.
>Students around him are often courteous and get
>out of his way and open doors for him. He also
>listens carefully to noises around him and has
>much of the campus memorized, including where to
>turn and how many steps are in his path to a
>certain place. His father gives a lot of credit
>for his son’s progress to a blind couple named
>Ed and Toni Ames who are advocates for service
>dogs and members of the National Federation of
>the Blind. “We met so many successful blind
>people through the NFB, and we realized that he
>had a future and that he could do anything that
>he set his mind to,” Joseph Taboada wrote.
>“I really believe that there was some divine
>intervention that steered us here (in 1988)
 despite all of the  problems with the