[blindkid] Preserving memories

Erin Teply eteply at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jan 2 18:18:59 UTC 2012

Jennifer,
My son max is 5 and sounds in a similar situation. He has light perception only and is mainstreamed in kindergarten and doing awesome! If you have any questions on anything please let me know.
Anyway, I am a huge scrapbooker and this had been on my mind since Max was born.  So, this is what I do but would love to hear other ideas.  One, videos are key!!  Max loves loves loves videos.  I am not a big video person so I am very thankful for phones that record on a whim.  I save all these and burn to DVD often.  I have taught Max about photos because I take lots.  I tell him all the time about why i take photos.  He's finally getting on board with me.  You also get over what makes a 'perfect picture'...Max has had numerous eye surgeries and has had most of his irises removed so his eyes look anything but normal but they are beautiful because it's him.  It's a perfect photo if he's smiling and head is towards the camera.  One thing his art teacher did for me this year is take a roller that makes a perforated outline on the photo.  She outlined his body and my moms (that is who the photo was taken of) and I think that helped him realize what is on a picture.  I have also created his 'school' books almost 100% tactile with things he's made and added Braille descriptions.  He loves these books because touching the pages is just like a sighted child looking at pictures.  Max tells me often that if isnt tactile or if it doesn't make noise he is totally not interested.  Good reminder all the time :) i still do make his scrapbooks but i know they are for me, for maybe his wife and/or kids someday if they are sighted.  I also use jolees brand items in his scrapbooks because they are actually a pretty good tactile representation.
Sorry for the mouthful but this is a subject near and dear to me:)

Best of luck,
Erin

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/carol.joyce.castell