[blindkid] IEP meeting

cheryl schultz cherylrenee24 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 23:16:13 UTC 2012

I feel lost with getting the needed services for my three year old who is in preschool. Her vision is currently 20/200 and she has been diagnosed with LCA. She currently only has 45 minutes of combined O&M and vision instruction with Braille included, I obviously dnt feel this is enough, I am unsure of how to justify requesting more time and making that stick. Her current tvi is a greater part of our problem, she does not use any technology currently or magnitudes, not a slant board, she has a brailler though in school only. My daughter stands up at the book during circle time instead of sitting with her peers leading to some of my discomfort as well. The IEP was never signed by me and I periodically rexeived composed pieces in the mail. The tvi is refusing to write vision goals for her IEP And is in her way refusing to do the learning media assessment and functional vision assessment, she stated that the LMA she is too young for, and that she has been
 doing the FVA little by little since august...! Anger there.... She said she would complete it and get it in the mail to me when she is done with it, however she stated she is unsure of when it will be complete, it is my understanding these need done periodically and frequently, I thought every 45 days but, I want to simply say we need an independent evaluation now since it isnt getting done, but was told I couldnt do this until she got something turned in for me to disagree with, please ideas. What do I need to walk into this IEP meeting and walk out with the services my daughter needs for an appropriate education?

Cheryl