[blindkid] 2012 Convention Highlights - Wow! & Double Wow!

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 06:10:48 UTC 2012

Welcome Kimberly,
I¹m not sure how Penny managed to write so much, so well, so quickly, but to
add to what she shared, here is my take as a now seasoned NOPBC parent of 2
blind kids, now ages 11 & 15.
I remember thinking ³Wow!² when we attended our first NFB National
Convention in Atlanta many years ago ­ We had already been to a number of
non-NFB conferences, but that first NFB National Convention was
perception-changing & life-changing experience for all of us.
We have grown a lot since then. After a while, it might be easy to be lulled
into thinking ³I pretty much know it all² ­ a ³been there, seen that, done
that² attitude, but in all honesty, I think that this was the best
conference we have attended to date.
The Saturday NOPBC Parent Conference was great.
The adult speakers were outstanding, as were the student speakers.
One theme that seemed to be echoed throughout the morning & kept popping up
in different venues throughout the conference was the vital role that
parents play. This came out in the talks by Dr Mauer,
Parnell Diggs, Gary Wunder & others ­ their parents held high expectations -
their parents had an NFB Philosophy about blindness without necessarily
knowing it ,truly believing in the capacity & abilities of the blind.
The talks emphasized how kids need to be encouraged to reach out & explore;
to be pushed to problem solve & figure things out for themselves. I think it
was Gary who shared that his parents told him something along the lines of
³you will not be lazy - you have a brain & functioning body - figure out how
to do it². One student shared the quote: ³The greatest gifts you can give
your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of
independence.²
My high schooler noted this parental influence theme as well ­ when I asked
him what he got out of Saturday morning, he shared that parents shape their
kids.
It was refreshing to hear acknowledgment of the vital role that we as
parents play in the lives of our children.
It was also neat to see so many high-achieving students & scholarship
winners & hear stories of where they are in their studies; what they have &
what they still hope to accomplish.
My elder son & I went to the Community Service Division Meeting & were both
really impressed by the attitudes & service projects of the mostly young
adult presenters, many of whom were mentors or participated in volunteer
programs outside of the blind community. We learned a variety of helpful &
neat strategies for learning how to find out about rewarding & fun community
service opportunities.
We learned so many new things last week.
My kids have no functional vision & both will be in instructional situations
next year that involve iPads. One of our goals was thus to learn to maneuver
through the iPad & link it with their BrailleNotes. I have to admit that
pre-convention I had still had reservations & remained somewhat skeptical of
how they would be using the iPad/iPhone, but we got some 1-on-1 instruction
& a few other opportunities to interact with totally blind users & I am now
convinced that these will be important tools for my kids ­ Importantly,
after a week at Convention my kids can now maneuver through the iPad/iPhone,
write in Notes, read iBooks, & have started exploring various apps.
There are some great apps for blind individuals ­ we will explore these
further & I can share more on that at the end of the summer.
Both my boys went out on own more than ever before & came back excited &
more confident in their abilities to do things.
Convention is a great opportunity to meet, connect & re-connect with people.
It provides a glimpse into what potential opportunities & obstacles lie down
the road so that you can take a more proactive & preemptive role as you make
decisions about raising & educating your child/children.
I will sum up our experience this year as ³Wow! & Double Wow!²
Sincerely,
Eric V