[blindkid] Keyboard question and THANK YOU

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Tue Mar 6 16:54:45 UTC 2012

Hi Laurie,

I'm in the no Braille stickers camp.  Everybody is supposed to learn
to type by touch and it seems to me if the student needs feedback for
which key was pressed, using a speaking program is much better than
using Braille stickers.  First of all, in order to read a Braille
sticker, you would have to move your finger across the Braille--you
cannot read it by just pressing on it, so I really don't think
Braille stickers serve a real purpose.  Secondly, really efficient
keyboard use involves automatic movement with certain fingers in
certain directions to certain distances.  It will be far more useful
to your child to learn the keyboard in this spatial way than by
stopping to read each letter before typing it.

Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ
Director of Programs