[blindkid] Keyboard question and THANK YOU

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 05:00:29 UTC 2012

Hi Laurie,
As others have suggested, the F & J are easy to feel. From there it is all
about proper finger positioning & developing the proper spacial sense as
soon as possible. There is a really nice fun program for kids developed by
the father of a blind child called TypeAbility (www.yesaccessible.com). It
is reasonably priced, fun & runs kids through a logical progression of how
to find keys.
I wouldn't suggest labeling every letter. With my older son we used
braille label to make it easier to find the shift key (sh), windows key
(w), escape (e), ALT (a) & a few others; with my younger one, nothing was
labeled & he learned just as well. Its all about practice. I think that if
it is beneficial for a specific child to have a few landmark keys simply
labeled somehow initially that is OK, but within a short period of time
that should no longer be necessary.
Best wishes,
Eric