[blindkid] Braille note

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Mar 9 05:00:57 UTC 2012

> Electronic braille-notakers are a game-changer for young blind students.
> But to become truly proficient with them, they need to be able to "play"
> with them - use them intensely. That means home use, not just structure
> in-class use.

This is so true-- Kendra spent countless hours over the last couple of summers, not to mention breaks around Christmas as well as Spring Break, etc., and vast numbers of weekends and afternoon car rides just exploring and learning. She loves to record memos which she can label and access on her own with no help from anyone.

By second grade (if not in first) she had discovered the built in user's guide (or whatever they call it) and she would just read through and discover features. Soon she was showing her TVI (who is quite tech-savvy, BTW) features the TVI was entirely unaware of.

Another thing that really helps us out. We have numerous activities after school. Sometimes we can get Kendra to do some of her homework in the car on her Apex. Try that with a braillewriter in the back of your minivan....