[blindkid] Braille note

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Mon Mar 12 04:16:44 UTC 2012

This may have nothing to do with your situation, but is your daughter exclusively a braille reader? These machines are expensive and all too often, low vision kids aren't pushed towards braille when it may be more appropriate for them than large print, etc., in the long run. This may be largely because schools feel the expense is not justified. Not just the expense of the BrailleNote, but all the associated expenses of making braille work in general. Braille seems to be a last resort in far too many systems planning and approach.

If I might ask, what are they providing for her at this time? Large Print? An adapted computer? Just a Perkins Brailler? Sounds like it may be time to start gearing up for a push in a different direction at your daughter's next IEP.

At first, I was amazed that they bought some of the expensive equipment they did for our daughter's needs (she has no light perception so there is no question about braille for her) then I realized that things like a braillenote with a braille embosser that has a print attachment actually saves them money as compared to paying someone to convert manually brailled homework into print for her classroom teacher.

Kendra does her homework on the braillenote in many cases and then they just print it at school either in print only for the teachers to review, or in print and braille if she will need feedback. Same thing for school work, quizzes and tests much of the time. Her embossing equipment should last for many more years at school, but I expect it has already paid for itself many times over in the past three years just in man hours saved for the school.

If the argument cannot be made for this equipment to be bought simply because it is appropriate by itself, that cost savings might prove a useful "back door" approach. Perhaps something to think about? There may be other approaches as well. Does she have the same computer access at school as the other children, for example?

I know this must be terribly frustrating, but I'll bet there is an approach to get your daughter a more appropriate solution!

Richard

On Mar 11, 2012, at 11:30 PM, Janice wrote:

> Geez-- my daughter is 11 and in 4th grade and has not even been introduced to a BrailleNote. It is SO frustrating knowing the technology is out there but it is not accessible to her. We moved from Idaho to Washington because the education was better here. Sounds like we are still behind the times. I am at a loss. Janice
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 7, 2012, at 3:48 PM, DrV <icdx at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> My 4th grade son has been taking his BrailleNote to & back from school
>> since Kindergarden.
>> For us it was never even a question - He needs the tool to do his
>> homework.
>> It is a vital part of his educational experience.
>> How is a child expected to keep up or excel if they are not allowed to
>> appropriate access & tools?
>> I would argue that the BrailleNote is needed to access the mandatory
>> general ed curriculum at home & school.
>> My 2 cents.
>> Eric
>>
>> On 3/7/12 2:53 PM, "Dr. S. Merchant" <smerchant at vetmed.lsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I really think the maturity of the individual student needs to be taken
>>> into
>>> account, so to deny access to this piece of equipment at home until a
>>> certain age doesn't make sense.  However, the Braille notetakers can be
>>> somewhat fragile as concerns their pin movements to create the Braille and
>>> the functioning Braille display sometimes doesn't survive intact when
>>> dropped, but on the other hand it isn't thin glass either.  My son and a
>>> few
>>> of the students that were in his self contained VI class were taking their
>>> Braille note takers (school bought/owned) home in the first and second
>>> grade. It then never left his side through high school.
>>>
>>> Sandy Merchant Taboada

>>> home. Many kids use them for their homework. They are provided by the
>>> district.  I am pretty sure IDEA mentions home use. I don't have the
>>> wording.  I am just dragging it out of my memory. Which could be wrong.

>>> considerably.

>>> blindkid:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/smerchant%40mail.vet
>>> me