[blindkid] Braille ReadingRates??

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 20 21:11:07 UTC 2012

I began helping three students improve Braille reading speeds toward the end of February. We work together once or twice a week. One
student is learning Braille, but read a page from Braille in Brief today. Her teacher  sends books home that also have print. When
the student gets stuck, she looks at the print. I know this even though I am totally blind because I ask her to tell me what dots
she is feeling, and after struggling for a second, she comes out with the letter without telling me the dots. When I ask if she
looked, she will usually admit it. She is reversing some letters, such as w and r, and i, and e. She also turns around the d, f, j,
and H. However, she is improving with time and practice. Another student began at 75 words per minute. Today, he read at 104 words
per minute. The last student began at 79 words per minute. Today, she read at 107 words per minute. The speeds will improve. When
would you begin introducing Grade 2 for the new Braille reader? Should I wait until the reversals are resolved, or should I begin
soon with the single letter words, since she is already well on her way to knowing the alphabet?

Terri Wilcox