[blindkid] Braille instruction placement determination

Chantel Alberhasky chantel at alberhaskylaw.com
Wed May 9 21:22:34 UTC 2012

The location of the services can be placement which is a decision only an IEP team can make.    If your child has to leave his school and travel to obtain Braille instruction outside the building I would argue your child is not receiving FAPE because he is losing instruction time having to travel to & from school.

I also think it could viewed as discriminatory in that a blind child is forced to leave the building to receive instruction whereas his peers receive their instruction at the school.  Do they force children receiving ST, OT or any other specialized education to leave the building and travel to another location to receive services?  I doubt it.   Obviously if leaving the building is essential to the instruction - O&M for example - that is one thing but not providing his instruction in his school setting out of convenience to the school district reeks of discrimination in my opinion.

Chantel L. Alberhasky, Esq
419 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO 65806
417.865.4444

The Missouri Bar Disciplinary Counsel requires all Missouri attorneys tonotify all recipients of e-mail that (1) e-mail communication is not asecure method of communication, (2) any e-mail that is sent to you or byyou may be copied and held by various computers it passes through as itgoes from me to you or vice versa, (3) persons not participating in ourcommunication may intercept our communications by improperly accessingyour computer or my computer or even some computer unconnected to eitherof us which the e-mail passed through. I am communicating to you viae-mail because you have consented to receive communications via thismedium. If you change your mind and want future communications to besent in a different fashion, please let me know AT ONCE.