[blindkid] Expanded Core Curriculum Feedback

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Fri May 11 17:13:55 UTC 2012

Hi Cristine,

Going out on a limb here...but I think there are basic problems with
the ECC, the main one of which is why does the field think that
teachers should be the ones responsible for teaching IL skills,
rather than parents?  Instead of putting IL goals in the IEP, I'd
like to see parents being trained in the IL areas so that we can be
the ones to teach these skills to our children, as we do with our
other children, follow up with the practice, and oversee the
development of the skills.  I think training the parent would be a
much better role for the TVI in terms of IL skills.  I'm afraid the
ECC's take on this is more of the "it's so hard to raise a blind
kid--only a professional can do it" point of view and I don't like it!

Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ
Director of Programs