[blindkid] ECC- Social Skills

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Sat May 12 18:55:47 UTC 2012

Hello Jessica,
If someone has an additional disability, such as autism, then this person is
not specifically helped by requiring that they be taught skills as mandated
by the ECC. This set of guidelines is designed for "blind students"
specifically and does not take into account the additional needs of a
student with autism spectrum disorders. The teacher of the blind is supposed
to mysteriously know what every child who is blind with additional
disabilities needs, despite almost nonexistent training in this area from
teacher training programs. Of course, this isn't possible and many needs go
unmet. The ECC doesn't tell teachers the how, it just says that they
"should". For children who are functionally blind and have autism spectrum
disorders, I would argue that a person trained in educating students with
children with autism should be the primary educator with assistance from a
teacher of the blind to advise on adapting techniques to suit a student with
blindness.

Most teachers of the blind will tell you that they are so overloaded that
they are currently unable to meet the basic academic needs of their students
who are just blind. They are frustrated and sad at their inability to meet
many of the needs of their blind students with additional conditions such as
autism. A complicating factor is the reluctance of many teachers, with
training in educating autistic students, to work with blind students. They,
like most teachers, have not been exposed to the truth about blindness and
were not given exposure to working with blind students in their teacher
training programs. So, they feel unable to get involved. When I have seen a
partnership between a teacher of the blind and a teacher of autistic
students, the results have been outstanding. But, in my experience, such
partnerships are the exception rather than the rule.

You have pointed out how the ECC is being expected to ensure that all blind
children have their special needs met and how far short it falls from being
able to do this. So, one more black mark against the ECC.

Regards,
Heather Field