[blindkid] 5year old with low vision (again)

Holly Baker Miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 12:12:16 UTC 2012

::::waves at Jill::::

He may be doing ok with that font size now but will he continue to perform
on the same level as his peers in the future?  That is the question.

A big component in winning our case was the evaluations that tested his
reading stamina.  When the district evaluated him, they only evaluated him
using short passages.  Our independent evaluations tested him over longer
periods of time (5-10-15-20 minutes) and provided detailed data to show how
his speed, comprehension and retention significantly fluxuated over the
time period.  Also he was tested at different times of the day to show how
eye fatigue effected his performance.

Most of these tests were performed when Hank was in 3rd & 4th grade, as an
established reader. I'm not sure how that is done in a very early or
pre-reader.  I'm never sure how to answer that question, I would love to
hear anyone's take on it.

Holly