[blindkid] walking home from school.

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Tue May 15 21:32:01 UTC 2012

Penny,

This is a great opportunity!  work on those street-crossing skills
now!  If she doesn't learn how to do it now--at an age-appropriate
time--when will she?  Why NOT learn now!

The only thing I'd make sure of (beyond the safe crossings) is that
she actually does learn the way.  I have notoriously bad orientation
(yes, I'm sighted) and walked to school with my older sister for a
year and a half and NEVER learned my way!!!  Maybe if someone had
given me the training then, my brain would have learned how.

Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ
Director of Programs