[blindkid] Fwd: [LCA] math question

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Mon May 21 15:26:18 UTC 2012

I learned to do mathwith a device called the Taylor slate, which was used in
some schools during the '50s and '60s.  Like the Cubarithm, it enabled the
student to set up math problems spatially and to correct mistakes.  Later
these devices were dropped in favor of the Perkins Brailler.  The Perkins
allows the student to create a paper copy of the problem so work can easily
be turned in to a TVI for translation into print; however, the page has to
be rolled up and down for various steps, and it often gets out of alignment.
Furthermore, the only way to correct an error is to rub down the dots, which
gets pretty messy.  (I understand that the new Perkins has an erase feature,
and I'm wondering if that is helping to solve the errors problem.)

 All of these approaches are workable, but none is ideal, and I know too
many blind students who agonize over math homework night after night.  It
has occurred to me that the drawing board created by artist Ann Cunningham
may have valuable applications in math teaching.  It is a rubberized board
that allows a blind person to draw raised lines on a regular sheet of paper.
The lines appear "right side up" - that is, it isn't necessary to flip the
page and look at a mirror image of what has been drawn.  If a blind student
were to learn to write print numbers and other math symbols, perhaps he/she
could do math problems in class or at home.  Lined paper could make it
possible to keep lines and columns straight.  Parents and classroom teachers
could understand the student's work without the intervention of an aide or
TVI.  Worth some thought?

Debbie