[blindkid] Refusal to school

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu May 31 22:45:10 UTC 2012

Unfortunately I think Jill is correct. We had our (blind) daughter in a private school for a couple of years but once Kendra was 5 years old, the county no longer had to provide services in the private setting. Not only that, but despite an outstanding existing relationship because our older daughter (typically sighted) had already gone to the same private school for about 7 years, and no matter that she'd enjoyed great success there, the complexities of dealing with a the needs of a blind child quickly overwhelmed the school's teachers and staff.

We even looked into the cost to pay for services ourselves to see if we might try to extend our time at the school. The rough figure of $20,000 a year came up (sourced directly, not through the private school) on top of private tuition for the actual school, and even if we had the funds and were willing to spend them that way, as we understood it, they could have "pulled the plug" on their end at will.

I know this is frustrating, but hopefully you can find a good fit in a public school setting with really good services available. Nothing is likely to work well or "feel right" when you are in a situation where the school believes it is doing you a "favor" to try and accommodate your child.

Good luck,

Richard