[blindkid] National Media Reading Assessment

Chantel Alberhasky chantel at alberhaskylaw.com
Fri Nov 2 21:11:26 UTC 2012

It was my understanding the National Media Reading Assessment is in lieu of a Learning Media Assessment.
Yes an IEP team must consider any IEE presented to it but it doesn't have to accept the IEE.  If you request an IEE at public expense (school pays for it), the school district must pay for it or file due process to have a hearing officer determine whether their evaluation is appropriate and an IEE is not needed.  The school district can provide you with a list of providers, but you are not required to use anyone on the list.  The school district can have a criteria the evaluator must meet - it can not be more stringent than that of its evaluators - and the evaluator need only met the criteria.
If a parent has the financial resources to pay for an IEE, I find that is usually an easier route to just get the IEE on their own.  Many school districts have gone to automatically filing for due process when an IEE is requested as a way to deter other families from requesting an IEE.
Finally, personally I don't think a Learning Media Assessment is a tool that should be used to determine whether a child learns Braille.  How a child learns has nothing to do with whether a child should be literate in Braille.  Many sighted kids are auditory learners, for example, but no one would ever then suggest the child should forgo learning print and just listen to books.  And yet our children are told this on a frequent basis in re to braille.   I have a low opinion of the LMA and how it has been used to prevent children from being taught Braille.
Chantel L. Alberhasky, Esq
419 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO 65806
417.865.4444

The Missouri Bar Disciplinary Counsel requires all Missouri attorneys
to notify all recipients of e-mail that (1) e-mail communication is not a
secure method of communication, (2) any e-mail that is sent to you or
by you may be copied and held by various computers it passes through as it
goes from me to you or vice versa, (3) persons not participating in our
communication may intercept our communications by improperly accessing
your computer or my computer or even some computer unconnected to
either of us which the e-mail passed through. I am communicating to you via
e-mail because you have consented to receive communications via this
medium. If you change your mind and want future communications to be
sent in a different fashion, please let me know AT ONCE.