[blindkid] Writing Pencils

Holly Baker Miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 01:32:52 UTC 2012

Hi Sherry!
You can find soft lead pencils at any chain craft store. Look in the
drawing supply isle.  Also easy to find on Amazon or other online art
supply places.

Soft lead pencils put down a darker, bolder line and are less reflective
making it easier to see.  Pencils that have an H on them are a harder lead,
pencils with a B is softer.  The lower the number, the harder, the higher
the softer.
My son has Albinism and has used these for a while.  An 8B is a nice dark
line but it is so soft it smudges easily.  Try a 4B or 6B to start. When
you scribble with those compared to a regular #2 pencil, you'll see the
difference.

Sometimes you can get "General Layout" pencils in a multi pack.  They don't
have a number on them but I think they are close to a 6B.  If you
are shopping at a chain store, you should be able to use a coupon for
those.

Often TVIs will recommend something called a 20/20 pen.  It's basically a
felt tip marker. You could buy any old felt tip marker to try it out but of
course, they don't erase.

Holly