[blindkid] ACT/(PLAN = Pre-ACT) & SAT/PSAT Questions

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 16 05:29:15 UTC 2012

Thanks Pat. Which braille practice test are you referring to: ACT? SAT?
PSAT? or PLAN?

V takes the PSAT Wednesday (since all kids who take the PLAN in Braille
format have to take it on Wednesday instead of Saturday like everyone
else, he will pretty much miss all his classes that day -> who's
insightful decision was that?) We still haven't received the pretest that
is supposed to accompany the Braille PSAT - the school is hoping it will
come tomorrow…

For all you with younger kids - exposure to (& mastery of) graphics of all
sorts is important: on the PLAN (Pre-ACT) my son says that virtually the
whole science section was based on graphics: charts, tables, graphs, etc.
For this they are on their own & can't ask for clarification.

V states that a number of the graphics in the PLAN were not labeled
properly, making them hard or impossible to understand. He says there was
one bar graph in which all the bars were short & the all the same size.

Also there was a portion of the language arts section that was confusing.
The directions referred to underlined words or phrases. V kept searching
for the braille underline symbol, then after a while realized that for the
PLAN test they decided to note underlining by embossing a LINE embossed
ABOVE the words or phrases. This would not seem to conform to my
understanding of accepted transcription standards.

The combination of the above 2 irregularities is what makes me question if
they actually used a certified transcriber for the PLAN test. (I learned
to stop assuming long ago :-(

We'll see how Wednesday goes…
Eric