[blindkid] Trekking Poles (Hiking Poles) Suggestions Wanted

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sat Oct 20 03:38:25 UTC 2012

Where a white cane "wouldn't" work? I guess that is a matter of opinion. She has gone on similar walks with a white cane, tripping over multiple high roots stepping into small random holes and sliding down steep grades covered in pine straw. She was generally plagued by the trail conditions to the point that she felt quite unstable and wanted much more sighted-guide assistance than normal and was generally uncomfortable. She didn't actually break any bones or do any serious damage but it was not a thing she is anxious to repeat.

I would describe this sort of terrain as something that is somewhere between a need for everyone to use poles and a wide open flat path where you're on flat clean ground and just happen to be walking through the woods. One big issue is things like slender tall pine tree roots where soil has eroded from beneath them. The ground remains flat, but lower than the original level-- hard clay that forms after rain and goes really nice and flat  leaving  many MANY trip hazards above the deceptively smooth ground... It was amazing how often her cane would zig in and out of the root "fingers" staying barely on flat smooth earth and before I could warn her her she would end up snagging the root tossing her off balance. At speed when she finds the roots, they can also do a fine job of grabbing the cane right out of her hand...

We also live very close to Stone Mountain, a giant granite rock with a trail up to the top about a mile long.  I believe this is the worst thing she has ever tried to navigate. It is nice to climb but a white cane is entirely insufficient given the nature of the trail. There are so many areas where suddenly you're on sandy rock and then wet slick rock (especially after a summer shower) that I think having something to stabilize her on those areas would be invaluable. Sometimes you have to navigate step-like rocks that may be a foot or 18" high... Things like that. I want something strong enough that no matter how hard she presses it will hold her up with a surface at the ground as sticky as a good pear of sneakers or climbing boots.

Based on this past experience as well as things I have heard from some blind hikers, I'm inclined to grab a set of poles for her and take along her backup cane that can be put into a backpack for typical use when we might be in an easier part of the trail or to explore more conventionally but to see how some of these work for her. (I'm not a folding / telescoping cane fan but a straight white cane isn't so easy to carry up a mountain or to take on a bike ride etc.)

Honestly, I find the idea of hiking poles appealing for myself in some of these areas and I'm typically sighted. My concern is it will require a different technique and I'm not quite certain how to explain the new technique to her. Guess we'll have to improvise that one...  Based on her experience, at least in our case, conventional techniques that work fine for her in a school hallway or on a sidewalk or even a yard or open field have too much potential for her to miss the random sometimes quite small hazards when hiking along some trails.

The idea may even be a flop for her, but it seems to appeal to her I can see no harm with trying it. That's how we learn what works. I just thought some here may have found which poles work especially well or which to avoid...

Thanks for you feedback.