[blindkid] Nikon making horror movie with "evil albino" children

Holly Baker Miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 14:12:05 UTC 2012

Hi everyone!
I'm posting this because I know we have a lot of members whose kids have
Albinism.

I recently became aware of a collaboration between Nikon and director
Guillermo Arriaga where they are casting two children with Albinism for a
short horror film.  Nikon is involved because the end product will be
essentially a commercial for their D800 DSLR's video capability. To make
sure I wasn't jumping to conclusions, I called the casting company myself
and was told this is a "dark role" ie, the typical evil albino stereotype.
 I had what was actually a very pleasant conversation with this person.
 They said they were becoming aware of the issues with casting children
with Albinism in this role.  While they do not have any creative control
over the process, they did say the clients were considering what kind of
backlash it could cause.

The good news is the part has not been filmed yet.  According to the
casting notice, the children are to be filmed on Nov 7 & 8.  That means
there is still time for them to change their mind!  There are many ways to
have creepy kids without resorting to exploiting Albinism.

If you are so inclined, and on twitter, here is a tweet we are trying to
get spread around as quickly as possible.

@NikonUSA Recast Broken Night Movie. Don't exploit children with Albinism.
#AlbinoNotEvil #Albinism #Nikon

If you prefer snail mail, their address is
Nikon Inc 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747-3064

I have not been able to find a working email address for anyone at Nikon
but you can submit emails dirrectly on their website.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/About-Nikon/Contact-Us.page

 We are directing our attention to Nikon as it is their end product and
because, hopefully, they have more concern about their reputation.
Their Corporate Social Responsibility states their priorities include respect
for human rights and work environments, and promoting diversity in the
workforce,
This is not the way to accomplish that.

Please feel free to share this far and wide.

Holly
aka Hank's mom