[blindkid] Books (Not) On Time

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 29 13:57:24 UTC 2012

Hi All,
Up until this year, our kids have received their textbooks overall just
before or shortly after the beginning of the school year - hasn't been
perfect, there have been some late ones, but it was workable.
We are now 2 months into the school year & still don't have an embossed copy
of my 5th grade son's math textbook with the needed graphics ­ we have a
"temporary makeshift text" that is mostly text, & of the few graphics that
are there, many are so poorly done that we have to look at the hardcopy
print textbook & explain the graphic.

What is the current standing of "Textbooks on Time?"
€  Is it an actual law? If so, anyone have a link to that or to recent
insightful articles?
€  Who is responsible? The district? The State?
€  There have been a few presentations on Textbooks on time at National
Convention  over the years ­ including one by I believe Tuck Tinsley III,
President of APH at one a few years that if I recall correctly stated that
APH was going to set up a monitoring/tracking system ­ did the ever happen?
€  What are our options?
€  At our prompting, the TVI has emailed the state ­ it doesn't sound the
book will be arriving in the near future.
€  Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Eric