[blindkid] Urgent: please sign this petition to help a blind kid!

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 15:58:30 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I have corresponded with Beth about this situation off-list a little
bit. I believe it is legitimate. My understanding is that this kid's
TVI does not believe he should be taught Braille because he has some
residual vision. Also, Beth told me that during this  past year Nathan
has been placed in a preschool for kids with developmental
disabilities (most of whom are nonverbal) even though Nathan has no
disabilities other than blindness. I am not an educator, but I think
it is obvious that this is  the worst possible educational environment
for a blind child  in his prime to develop his language, literacy and
social skills.
Beth, and Nathan's parents, believe that the school for the blind
would offer Nathan the Braille and  other adaptive skill training that
Nathan's TVI in the regular school system is not willing to give him.
While I don't know all the details, it sounds like the district is not
willing to fund Nathan's placement at the school for the blind,
preferring to keep him in the multi-disabled classroom instead.
I am going to sign this petition and believe it is a worthy cause.
Best,
Arielle