[blindkid] Books (Not) On Time

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Oct 30 03:33:45 UTC 2012

We find a large number of errors in braille textbooks here as well as frequent missing graphics, or graphics so poorly adapted as to render them virtually useless.

A number of texts seem to be provided to most (sighted) students only by a web site, and while they have gotten us a Braille copy of these (such as the Braille is) they have yet (now past mid-semester) to locate a print copy of one text book for us to have at home. They have promised to send home xerox copies of pages each for each day until they find us a book, but some days (like today) they forget.

The web site with the book is so poorly coded that JAWS can't properly access the contents, and even web browsers for sighted users sometimes cannot see the lower portion of pages. The book will self-read on the web, but it stops in odd places and there is no way for Kendra to control the playback. A 4th grade student should have control of the book they are reading (or being read by their computer) and having a book read to you is not the same thing as reading yourself (in Braille, in her case).

Printing is disabled through the web login, so it really becomes a mess to access the web page on a compatible computer and have a BrailleNote working (to write answers in) and the braille (paper) books out to use. It shouldn't be this hard to do homework!

At least one book was provided electronically for us this year on the Apex. That sounded good (though obviously it negates all graphics access) but it turns out that the book is over 500 pages and has no page breaks or accessible page numbers, so obviously that's not too useful either.

I'm not blaming the school for lack of trying, but the claim that newer textbooks will be more and more accessible seems to be less than accurate so far.

I know that's no help for you, Eric, but I wonder what the trend is around the country. I feel like textbook access is getting worse. Are we just having a run of bad luck, or is this a general trend?

Sent from my iPad