[blindkid] Apex & iBooks iPad Interaction

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 20 06:11:27 UTC 2012

In this instance, it is a device-specific issue: On an Apex the "O" Chord
(space-O) is a device-specific command function that opens up the
BrailleNote Options Menu.

We¹ve learned that the solution is to use a ³pass-through command², that is
­ in order to enter space-o, space-e, or other Keysoft commands that work
for other braille display devices, on an Apex you must first press
³enter-4-5-6² to tell Keysoft to ignore the next keystroke. Thus to advance
pages in iBooks on an Apex you need to first press 4+5+6+enter & then the
O-space chord. It works. So far quite a few books are readable on the
braille display with VoiceOver program on (my kids prefer with the sound
muted). Some of the younger kid¹s books are pretty cool and have great
audio-descriptions of the pictures (ie: ³Reach for the Stars² by Serge
Bloch). Interestingly, the Spanish version of the iBook ³Matilda² by Roald
Dahl reads aloud fine using the Spanish VoiceOver, but appears kind of
gibberishy on the Braille display, yet it reads fine on the braille display
if the regular USA English VoiceOver is on.

Best wishes,
EricV