[blindkid] Knowing when they should know what when

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 00:42:14 UTC 2012

Hello Penny,
Except for the reading and math standards adopted by California, I don't
think there is a guide. It's difficult to imagine such a guide given that
each blind child is so individual and unique. I liken having such a guide to
having a special educational standards scale for tall children, children
with English as a second language, children born as preemies etc. If I
attempted to create such documents, people would point out that the
classifying feature which I was using was only one characteristic and that
so many other issues factored into the educational equation that it was
quite unrealistic to use only one characteristic to determine what level of
achievement and which skill sets particular children should have.

There are blind children who love to read but who don't much like
technology. There are those who love technology but are very unmotivated to
keep a tidy room dress with care, eat with manners etc. Still others may be
highly motivated in all areas but they have fluctuating vision or have
recently lost their vision. Still others love languages and history and
writing but don't much like mathematics. Some children are just plain
brighter than others while some parents push their children much, much
harder than other parents. Some parents have very low expectations for their
children in educational areas. How could a set of standards for the
achievement levels of children with vision loss possibly be expected to deal
with all these contributing factors?

It sounds too simple to be true and certainly doesn't give any guidelines,
but I believe with all my heart, on the basis of over 30 years teaching
blind students, that age-appropriate is the best measure and target. Find
out what other children of your child's age are doing and aim for your child
to have average competence in those areas at the same age. Even if your
child does not achieve age-equivalent performance in all areas, you will
find that they will be a lot closer to the general norm than if you were
using some watered-down, lower set of expectations. It so important for us
all to remember that as soon as blind students enter the work force there
are only two standards which they can meet: cannot perform the job, or can
perform the job.

Peer equivalent expectations will keep everyone on course for where they
need to end up. This is also a helpful achievement guide because, as you
observe the achievements of same-age sighted children, you will see that
there is a fairly wide range of ability in most areas in the range called
"normal". This gives you a better picture of your child as an individual.
Blindness is never the defining factor in achievement. What a child with
vision loss achieves results from a complex mix of educational and social
opportunities, parental expectations, childhood experiences, the students
natural aptitudes, appropriate training in life skills and so much more.
Despite the powerful myth to the contrary, even the amount of vision
possessed by a child is not proportionally correlated with their success.
There are many low vision and partially sighted individuals who are
unemployed, live at home with elderly parents or alone, and they are
unmotivated to improve their situation. And, there are many people with no
usable vision who are employed or looking for employment, married or living
in share situations, volunteering in the community and doing their bit to
make the world a better place.

All that to say, I would trust your instinct and expect age-appropriate
behaviour and formal educational achievement from your blind children.
Warmly,
Heather field