[blindkid] IEP questions

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 7 07:00:46 UTC 2013

We have taken a similar approach.
We have a minimal of 2 IEP meeting for each of our boys; 1 within the
first few weeks of school & 1 a few weeks before the end of the school
year.
We also arrange for an additional informal meeting for 1Ž2-1 hour to  with
the gen ed teacher(s) the day before school starts every year with a
handout to provide a brief overview of our child, our philosophy, & to
answer any questions - it has always been well received  - and a relief
for many who you can tell have been wrestling over how they will be able
to teach a blind child. This also sets a tone that we are able & willing
to be part of the process of "making it work." (great title for a book ;-)
The school tries to put off the beginning of the year IEP saying it is too
early to get a feel for things, but the meeting is invariably perfect in
timing to address questions that the gen ed teacher has & to get all team
members in the same room so they can all meet, connect & problem solve.
At the end-of-the-year meeting we try to get a sense of who will be
teaching the following year - or when we can expect to know over the
summer. It gives the TVI a chance to find out what books need to be
ordered & what materials need to be brailled over the summer & we put in
the meeting notes that we request an early IEP the following year as well
as the pre-start of school meeting.
Beyond that we meet as needed when issues come up - & then unfortunately
almost always do.
I think it is important to document parental requests & concerns formally
in writing. For every IEP meeting we provide a parent handout with our
contact info, general background, straight & weaknesses, etc with a
listing of our concerns & requests & we write in the handout that we want
the handout to be included as an official part of the IEP meeting
document. We add pictures (these are great pre&start of the meeting
icebreakers). We make sure the meeting notes include reference to our
handout stating it has been acknowledged & included. We also bring
something for the IEP team to snack on.
There is a lot more access to teachers & other IEP members in elementary
school. Much less so in Middle school & high school.
Best wishes,
Eric