[blindkid] to sign or not to sign

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Feb 24 22:16:46 UTC 2013

> Also--there are "children at play" signs, too.  I think the "Deaf Child at
> Play" or "Blind Child at Play" signs just give a little extra warning for
> drivers when they're dealing with younger kids who need help to stay safe.

I couldn't agree more. Give drivers information about anything that could keep ANYONE (and especially kids) safe, not just blind kids, but the fact that someone is blind or deaf changes they way others-- drivers in this case, can most safely interact with them. You don't blow your horn at a deaf child and hope to issue a warning anymore than you gesture it is safe to go ahead and cross the street in front of you to a blind child.

I have a typically-sighted 7-year-old (as of last week happy birthday son!) who got his first real "big-boy" bike last week. Even on out quiet dead-end street I bought a warning sign from Toys-R-Us saying "Caution, Children at Play" and I put it out to block off one side of the street for him, along with a couple of bright pylons. I was amazed how much people slowed down-- even locals who always drive by a bit too quickly.