[blindkid] To Sign or not To Sign

Rene Harrell rjharrell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:59:51 UTC 2013

Out town tried to give us a "blind child" sign, and there are several signs
around areas that I frequently drive that caution about a deaf child, one
about a wheelchair user.

Honestly, I think that amount of information is distractingly specific. How
am I goings know how to spot if the kid on the sidewalk is the deaf one?
And should I be any less cautious about passing a young child on the road
if I know he is not deaf? How can I figure out which one might have autism?
I can for sure tell a wheelchair user, but if I am so busy looking out for
the person in the wheel chair...who am I in danger of ignoring in my quest
to search for the obviously disabled one? And what if I never see the
wheelchair user? (In my 18 months ere, I ever have)....has he moved? Has
she stopped going out side? Does tat mean I can ignore the sign now?

I do agree that signs can be helpful reminders to simply be more aware of
our surroundings, I just disagree that all the extra information is at all
relevant to the perfect strangers speeding by for the 1.2 seconds they are
going to process the information on the sign.

If you have kids, sighted, blind, deaf, hearing, autistic, neuro typical,
running or wheeling themselves outside and you would like to issue a gentle
reminder to the driving universe, I think a "children at play" sign is more
than enough information to elicit the type of behavioral response you are
hoping for and it is general enough that people can easily reinforce the
message by seeing ANY child, not try and pick a needle out of a haystack.

Rene---- mom to six wonder kids, including Miss Clare age 11, (ROP) and
Seraphina 8 months (ONH)

--
" I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I needed to be."